What is the MERN stack?
MERN stack combines four key technologies: MongoDB, Express, React, and Node.js.
- MongoDB: It is a document-based database that stores data in JSON-like documents.
- React.js: It is a front-end library used for developing user interfaces.
Advantages of using the MERN stack
- Enables development of all web application development from backend to frontend only using a single language.
- It is developed and supported by a huge open-source community.
- Supports model, view, and controller (MVC) architecture for smooth and rapid development.
- It also supports the creation of a multi-platform mobile application by using a react-native library.
Top free resources to learn the MERN stack web development
Free Code Camp is a nonprofit community that helps learns to code by building projects. It was founded by Quincy Larson and is now backed by donations and managed by the open-source community. It is an interactive course where students learn by reading and completing interactive coding challenges. The course is divided into various sections. The students receive a certificate after completing each section. I personally have used freeCodeCamp to develop a career in full-stack web development.
While this may sound unconventional, but learning resources provided by Mozilla Developer Network are excellent resources for getting started into full-stack development using MERN. This resource is not a full course but can be used as an alternative material for learning the MERN stack. It is also built and supported by the open-source community.
Personal thoughts and recommendations
While most of the above course contains all the resources to make you a proficient MERN stack developer, they also contain extra lessons that are not required to become a MERN stack developer. So I suggest you go through these frontend and backend road-maps and follow the path according to the career you want to pursue.